Saturday, August 13, 2011

Time Lapse tip of the day

In the little time lapse test I did in the previous post, the images looked rather pleasing to the eye...good contrast and warm colors...that is not exactly what the original images looked like coming out of the camera.

Since I was testing the remote control, the subject matter was secondary in importance (for this specific shoot) so I had no color filters or other "props" to enhance the image in camera.

In this case, I didn't have to do any complicated color adjustments or video effects in the timeline using my editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5).
A time lapse video is technically a string of still images captured by your camera...so you can process them in Photoshop (or similar software of your choice) BEFORE dropping them into the timeline.

In the images below, I used Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 filters to subtly enhance the visuals - although Nik has a lot of very creative filters in the 3.0 suit version there are a few very useful tools to enhance an image while keeping it "real" looking (sometimes even save an image all together!).

In the NYC window shot, there was a "not so dreamy" haze in the air and the colors were a bit dull (changing the WB in camera would not help by much).
I created an action in PS that consisted of two great Nik filters - Tonal Contrast to enhance detail definition in a natural way and a Sunshine filter to give a warm, golden glow to the window frame and the overall image.
Before creating the action, I played with the filter settings to figure out how much of each I will dial in and only after I was happy with the result did I do the batch action.









The Grand Central Station images got similar treatment - I used the Pro Contrast and Tonal Contrast filters to bring out details and enhance the overall crispness of the image (since it was a longer exposure under incandescent lights, it was naturally warmer).

Click on the photos to see a larger view.
(click "back" to return to blog post)




If you don't use Nik already, download a free 15 day tria lof Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 to see how creative you can get :)




As usual, questions and comments are welcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment